On today’s podcast we provide you with simple and practical steps that you can apply to repair the relationship you have with your child.
Often times on our Podcast, License to Parent, we speak in generalities. In this episode we wanted to drill down some specific activities you can start applying in your home today. This is the first podcast of a two part series. We will be discussing only eight steps today. At the end of today’s post, I will give you instructions on how you can access part two.
Click to Listen
How You Can Repair the Relationship with Your Child
1. Be discerning of your family’s choice of entertainment. Evaluate what your family is entertained by and begin setting boundaries to prevent access to negative content. Below is a helpful article to begin this process.
- Learn about Ten Tough Technology Tips.
2. Replace traditional entertainment habits with other types of entertainment that will facilitate biblical teachings. One example is to consider listening to Bible teachings or worship music on the commute to school or ball games.
3. Be intentional in choosing the church your family attends. A good church will provide your family with a loving community and a system of accountability. Be sure to find a church with a good youth group. For warning signs of an ineffective youth group see the article below.
- Learn about the Warning Signs of an Ineffective Youth Group.
4. Be intentional with your time and have regular meaningful discussions by eating a meal together. Having regular conversations and interactions around the dinner table develops a sense of accomplishment and belonging.
5. Go on a vacation or a road trip as a family.
6. Simply laugh together! Make life fun for your family.
7. Limit the amount of time you spend on technology. On occasion, consider a fast from technology. During this time facilitate a family game night and other non-technological activities.
8. Highlight current events and discuss them with your family through a biblical worldview.
This is the first of a two-part series. If you would like access to part two and the remaining 12 steps, click here.
Conversation Starter: What are some additional steps you can take to repair your relationship with your child?