I recently hosted a conference at Cornerstone Baptist Church in Orlando, Florida.
Before I can present this list of questions, however, I need to begin with a different question to put everything into context.
Where did we learn most of our moral values and parenting skills?
Most people I talk to answer by saying “our parents.” This would be correct.
With this answer in mind, let me follow-up with these 27 questions that can put parenting in today’s culture into perspective.
Was it our parents who taught us:
- Premarital, “safe sex” was acceptable and—even wise and commendable?
- Living together without being married was prudent for financial reasons?
- Nudity and profanity on TV and in movies was just an entertainment art form?
- Anyone who slept with multiple partners wasn’t considered a whore?
- Drugs should be legalized because so many kids are doing it?
- Spanking a rebellious, foul-mouthed child was child abuse?
- Killing an unborn baby was a woman’s choice?
- Music glorifying misogyny, satanism, violence and rebelliousness is just art?
- Adultery may actually spice up a marriage and lying about it is acceptable?
- Sassing an adult is just a child’s need for self-expression?
- Everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy for just showing up?
- Parents have to encourage sloth and mediocrity to not hurt Junior’s self-esteem?
- Tattooing, piercing and body modification was something to be proud of?
- Adolescence should last until Junior is 30?
- Animals have the same rights as humans?
- Truth is relative and is what you believe it to be—regardless of the facts?
- A career woman should be more esteemed than a domestic engineer?
- Pornography is an art form and should be an elective in college?
- It was OK for public schools to pass out condoms to kids—and not Bibles?
- It was OK for public schools to abort your daughter’s baby without informing you that she was even pregnant?
- Breaking an eagle’s egg is a greater crime than killing an unborn baby?
- Not recycling is a greater faux pas than losing your virginity before marriage?
- Homosexuality was just an alternative lifestyle—harmless and socially acceptable?
- Two people of the same gender could possibly constitute a marriage?
- An eight-year-old has the right to choose his own gender?
- Public schools should make unisex bathrooms a law?
- The police are evil and can’t be trusted?
Was it really our parents who taught us all of this?
Picture provided Roland O’Daniel
Conversation Starter: These are some thought provoking questions. I’d love to hear your thoughts.