At Shepherds Hill Academy, we have a distinct advantage of recognizing how media is a cause to misdiagnoses in many troubled teenagers.
Click to Listen
Our guest, Dr. Ted Baehr, helps connect the dots for us.
Dr. Ted Baehr is an expert on the subject of media and its effects on teens. He is an author, publisher, and movie producer. Dr. Baehr is also the founder and Publisher of Movieguide® and Chairman of the Christian Film & Television Commission.
Anne Frank wrote:
“The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature. I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles.”
This was written by a young girl—a girl whose deeper thinking faculties didn’t get the chance to get destroyed by a constant overdose of media—which, arguably could be considered the antithesis to nature.
She had weightier things on her mind than catching the latest YouTube hit.
Parents Do Not Seem to be Connecting the Dots
The culture tends to be alluring the parents to the point that they are blinded to blatant signs of desensitization. Ted highlights this through the following:
- Thousands of studies are proving the power of marketing
- How parents can become “media wise”
- SHA’s active involvement in helping teens overcome media addictions
How Does Media Effect Violence
Many tell us violence is down. Is this true? Ted gives us insight:
- Studies are not revealing the truths
- Mayor Rudy Giuliani provided us with a model to follow during his service
- The four reactions to the violence teens are exposed to
- Understand the difference between two different types of violence
What can Parents Do
So what can the average parent do to effectively help change Hollywood? Ted’s response is:
- Ted’s ministry has been influencing Hollywood to clean up content
- Train kids to understand the importance in being responsible in media choices
- Support the Christian Films
- Use tools like Movieguide.org
Conversation Starter: What are some steps you can take to improve your family’s media selection?
Picture provided by Leonardo Augusto Matsuda.