Few would argue that parenting our kids according to biblical principles is more challenging today than in any time in American history.
Click to Listen
For Christian parents in today’s culture, their teenager may struggle with unbelief. We interview Ryan Dobson, son of Dr. James Dobson, to provide us with insight on how to help your teen with unbelief.
Ryan Dobson shares with us what his life was like growing up as a Dobson. Ryan is an author and speaker. His passion to help teens with their unbelief has lead to his most recent book “Wanting to Believe: Faith, Family and Finding and Exceptional Life.”
Today’s Culture Perpetuates Unbelief
Virtually every day at SHA my team and I work alongside families who have become casualties of the multitude of temptations and attacks prevalent in today’s culture.
Through the influence of the culture, your teen may struggle to accept the Christian faith you have raised him/her with. It is important to help your teen with unbelief.
How did Dr. James Dobson Help His Teens with Unbelief
Ryan brings such a unique aspect to the conversation. He discusses:
- How his parents raised their family.
- What the most effective parenting tool the Dobson’s used looked like.
- Upcoming resources that provide you with practical insight for parenting.
Proactively Research the Answers
The Scriptures depict a man speaking to Christ about belief. He tells Jesus, “I believe, help me with my unbelief.” Ryan uses this scripture to outline the following:
- Ryan provides unique insight into how Dobson intensely researched and prepared answers before setting out to pursue ministry.
- If parents want to raise godly teens, they need to proactively learn the answers to their teen’s questions.
- Once you understand the answers to your child’s question, teach them.
Adversity can Change Your Child’s Unbelief
Ryan discusses his personal trials that helped him solidify his faith.
- How to prevent adversity from shaking your faith.
- Like refined metal, adversity can strengthen faith. Ryan shares how this is possible.
- Trace elaborates how Shepherds Hill Academy was founded on adversity.
Conversation Starter: What are some practical steps you can take in order to help your child in his/her unbelief?
Picture provided by My Name’s Axel.