Dealing with an Out of Control Teenager
Does it seem like no matter how hard you try to discipline your child, they just become more rebellious and have turned into an out of control teenager? Rebellious youth are more likely to become at-risk for getting expelled from school, or worse – becoming incarcerated by the Juvenile Justice System. If you have an out of control teenager, you’re probably at the end of your rope.
SHA is a Therapeutic Boarding School Offering Serious Help for Troubled Teens
Shepherds Hill Academy serves boys and girls 12-17 who have gotten off track in life. Our therapeutic boarding school has separate outdoor wilderness campuses for boys and girls, with our educational campus in the center. We use outdoor therapy since the greatest opportunity for character and educational growth happens once feelings of entitlement are diminished.
We know your child…we really do. Through 20 years working with difficult and rebellious teenagers, we know what you are going through with your out of control teenager. Your home has become a nightmare. Your child is angry, running with the wrong crowd, perhaps dabbling in drugs, alcohol or sex, and is at-risk of expulsion or trouble with the law. We want to help you take charge and regain authority in your home.
Is your teen troubled?
Is My Teen Troubled?
Take the quiz to find out if important warning signs are present in your teen:
We Can Help
If your teen begins to exhibit signs of any these potentially dangerous behaviors, Shepherds Hill Academy can help.
Some Important Warning Signs of Serious Trouble Ahead
1. Your teen refuses to abide by anything you say or request, and his or her resulting behaviors put your teen or your family in danger or at high risk leading to constant fear or stress in the home.2. Your teen is displaying behavior that is a marked change from what has been normal (sleeping too little or too long, forgetfulness, lack of motivation, aggression, depression, anxiety, slipping grades, hating what they once loved or loving what they once hated, always wanting to be with friends or away from home, or avoiding friends altogether and spending too much time alone).
3. Your teen has become increasingly disrespectful, dishonest, disobedient, and openly displays rebellion, no longer veiling his or her feelings or caring about the consequences.
4. There is a blatant ignorance or profound rebellion toward the boundaries, Belief System or rules of the home. This can be shown in passive aggressiveness or open defiance that is unusually excessive for your teen.
5. There are outright or veiled threats of suicide or self-mutilation/cutting, excessive risk-taking, dangerous drug use or blatant sexual promiscuity–seemingly a loss of a conscience or moral compass.
6. Your teen treats people, pets, or belongings in a threatening or out of control manor.
7. Your teen thinks he or she is the center of your family and shows blatant disregard for the feelings of other family members, their time, or their possessions.
8. Months of counseling is providing little or no positive progress for your teen.
9. Your teen refuses to do anything with the family and displays a growing hatred for the family.
10. You cannot keep your teen away from peers who are obviously leading a lifestyle counter to your beliefs, and your teen is buying into their destructive behavior and attitudes.
At Shepherds Hill Academy Your Out of Control Teenager will Experience:
At Shepherds Hill Academy, the out of control teenager and the whole family finds therapeutic value and healing at our Christian Boarding School & Outdoor Therapeutic Program in Georgia. Distance and time away from the negative influence of their peers, and our 24/7 residential care keeps our students out of harm’s way, and allows for healing among all family members.
To learn more about Shepherds Hill Academy, please contact us or fill in the online inquiry form. You can also call us at (706) 779-5766. Though most of our students come from states in the southeast like Florida (FL), Georgia (GA), South Carolina (SC), North Carolina (NC), and Texas (TX), we enroll teens who reside throughout the U.S.