Shepherds Hill Academy is a therapeutic boarding school that serves students from Maine.
Since 2001, Shepherds Hill Academy has been successfully serving families with teens in crisis from all accross America. While we are not located in Maine, our 185 acre wilderness campus in Martin, Georgia provides the perfect opportunity for your troubled teen to find the hope and healing they need.
Many families enroll their troubled teen with us because of behaviors similar to the following:
- Kicked out of school
- Trouble with the law
- Substance abuse
- Digital addictions
- Aggressive or violent behaviors
- Complete disregard for authority figures
- Behavioral issues, including self harm
- Adoption issues, including RAD
- Clinical Diagnoses
- For more details, see our FAQ page
Five Reasons You Should Reconsider Boarding Schools Outside of Maine
Because of an unruly teenager, many families struggle with maintaining control of their home because of the behaviors similar to the ones mentioned above. As a result, their initial reaction may be to find help closer to home. While this is certainly a solution, in our experience, there are several benefits to sending your child out of their home state. Some of which are:
- Temptations to run away will be removed
- Out-of-state placement puts a buffer between your teen and his/her peers
- Prevents unwanted family members to have easy access to your teen
- The state of Georgia; in particular, provides appropriate oversight compared to many other states
- Outdoor therapeutic boarding schools in Maine are exposed to harsher weather conditions in the winter
Most Successful Elements of Shepherds Hill Academy
If you are still reading, then out-of-state placement may be a viable option for you. Shepherds Hill Academy is a unique therapeutic boarding school that provides a combination of private small classroom academics and unplugged outdoor adventure therapy. This combination provides a safe therapeutic environment 24/7. As a result, teens all over America are growing in character, being strengthened in their faith, and getting a second chance at academic success.
How does it work?
Shepherds Hill Academy intentionally combines the following elements to provide an atmosphere conducive for heart change:
– An outdoor therapeutic journey where teens build and/or maintain their own living quarters in which they live for the duration of the year. These are known as our Wilderness sites. Wilderness sites are a short walk from the main campus. Here the group will work together in building and maintaining structurally sound cabins that houses 8 to 10 students.
– Other than the classrooms, we offer a completely unplugged digital-free environment. One of today’s teens most overlooked vises is their digital addiction. Shepherds Hill Academy’s unplugged environment creates a distraction-free community that provides margin to contemplate the deeper meanings to life.
– We offer 24/7 around-the-clock therapeutic care. Our holistic approach to therapy will provide your teen with a myriad of tools to help them overcome the most challenging of circumstances. Whether it is through our Equine Relationship Therapy program, individual therapeutic sessions, weekly group sessions, or everyday practical learning experiences, when your teen graduates he/she will have the tools necessary to succeed.
– Our small classrooms provide our teachers with the opportunity to help struggling teens succeed in their academics. Many teens arrive at Shepherds Hill Academy with a seemingly hopeless academic outcome. However, because of our unique fully accredited academic program, most students are set back on track. It is exciting for us to see many failing seniors make a complete turnaround, graduate and proceed to a 2 or 4 year college. In fact 70% of our high school graduates have entered into a 2 or 4 year college.
Welcome to the Family
Our mission is to bring hope and healing to your entire family. At Shepherds Hill Academy, our 185 acre campus in Martin, Georgia provides us with the perfect opportunity to create a safe and secure environment. When you choose Shepherds Hill Academy, it won’t take long for you to realize that you are not just enrolling your teen in a therapeutic program, instead your family is becoming a part of a unique community comprised of families and team members that have been on, or are currently on, a journey very similar to yours.
The distance from Maine, the outdoor therapeutic value, and the time away from home is an effective opportunity to bring healing to your entire family, so call us: (706) 779-5766 and visit the rest of this site to learn more.