Shepherds Hill Academy effectively serves families looking for a therapeutic boarding school near Lithonia, Georgia
Since 2001 Shepherds Hill Academy (SHA) has been providing hope to families from all across America, and around the world. Our main campus is located approximately 90 minutes, or 91 miles northeast of Lithonia, Georgia, in the small town of Martin, Georgia. If you are searching for possible placement outside of your home for a struggling teenager, Shepherds Hill Academy can provide you with the help and healing your child and family needs.
Located in Martin, Georgia, our therapeutic boarding school can provide your family a practical therapeutic journey towards healing. Before we embark with you on this journey, we want to help you identify if a boarding school such as SHA is a suitable fit for your teenager. Below is a brief resource that can help.
Is Your Child a Troubled Teen Fit for a Boarding School?
It is our experience that many parents often refer to their son or daughter as a troubled or struggling teen in need of help. Some parents immediately think if their child is troubled they need therapeutic intervention such as a boarding school like Shepherds Hill Academy. While this may be the case for your family, we encourage you to take a brief moment to complete our Troubled Teen Assessment. This assessment can confirm if your teen is in need of therapeutic care. If you prefer, our admissions counselors can personally walk you through this brief assessment. Simply call our admissions team at: (706) 779-5766.
If you do not need the assessment to confirm your child is in need, take a moment to read the following warning signs. Does your son or daughter:
- Attempt to physically intimidate you through his/her size or weight?
- Have a history with the Lithonia, Georgia police?
- Communicate verbal or nonverbal threats of physical harm to you or other members of your family?
- Display signs of self injurious behaviors or suicidal tendencies?
- Show consistent signs of an addiction to video games, sexual promiscuity, technology, drugs, or other things?
Should I Place My Child Outside of Our Home?
Many parents are concerned about placing their troubled teen in a program outside of their home town. Luckily, SHA is only 91 miles northeast of Lithonia, Georgia. Martin, Georgia is conveniently located 5 miles off I-85, just before the South Carolina border.
There may be therapeutic options closer to your home. Based on our experience, placing your child outside of Lithonia will benefit your family as well as the healing journey your son or daughter will encounter. Other parents have experienced the following benefits from considering placement outside of their home town:
- Students are less of a runaway risk by being less familiar with their surroundings.
- If placement is in or near the home town, peers have easier access which can pose an obstacle to the healing process.
- Other family members that disagree with the decision of placement outside of the home may attempt to intervene prematurely.
- Change of location provides a temporary adjustment which can provide added therapeutic benefit.
If you are seeking placement for your troubled teen near Lithonia, Georgia, consider Shepherds Hill Academy. Our location provides your family with a relatively close drive, while maintaining enough distance from your child’s home town to deter from unnecessary pressures and temptations.
Why Shepherds Hill Academy?
If your child meets the criteria for placement, and our convenient location just outside of Lithonia, Georgia is a possibility for your family, SHA can bring help to your situation.
Through our Christ-centered therapeutic boarding school, Shepherds Hill Academy provides a comprehensive approach to healing that is unique to our industry. Our state licensed, fully accredited private academy can offer your family hope and healing through:
- Our safe, unplugged, wilderness-like environment.
- Effective weekly equine activities involving your child’s personally assigned horse.
- Small, yet fully functioning and accredited classrooms that address your child’s academic needs.
- An intentionally developed Christ-centered culture that does not force teens to convert to Christianity.
- We are at the front of our industry helping program leaders improve therapeutic care though our membership with the National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs (NATSAP).
- Daily therapeutic moments that leverage teachable moments to shape and secure your child’s character.
- A comprehensive approach to therapy to create a consistent authoritative environment.
Though our boarding school is not located Lithonia, Georgia, we are a short drive away. Because of our experience with families possibly in similar situations as yours, we are confident that we can help your teen acquire the character developing skills he or she will need to transition successfully into adulthood. Our team of servant leaders are willing to accompany you through the journey of residential care. To get started on your journey fill out our inquiry form or call us at: (706) 779-5766.
In the mean time, feel free to see what other parents have said in their journey through therapeutic care at Shepherds Hill Academy.