It wasn’t too long ago that Christian parents would have felt proud that their child was a part of institutions like the YMCA, the YWCA, Boy’s and Girl’s Clubs of America or the Girl or Boy Scouts of America.
Click to Listen
However, the more politically correct and postmodern our culture becomes, can Christian parents still experience the same security and pride in these traditionally wholesome institutions? Today our guest helps us tackle this question.
Our guest today is Patti Garibay. Patti is the Executive Director of the American Heritage Girls. This is a Christ-centered scouting organization.
I was a member of the Cub Scouts. I have never been directly involved with the Boy Scouts or similar institutions, but I do appreciate these organizations.
What is American Heritage Girls
Our interview today will help you become aware of a resource that may be a benefit to your family. The American Heritage Girls provide:
- Outdoor activities
- Opportunity for social development
- A focus on character development
- A strong spiritual development
- Why Patti Garibay was lead to found the American Heritage Girls
The Outdoors are Effective in Developing Character
In a culture fascinated with technology, I find it interesting that the outdoors still resonate with kids. More importantly, it provides an opportunity for character development.
- The concept of total abandonment from distractions actually appeals to kids.
- It brings the importance of relying on others. Its difficult to camp alone.
- Places their life in focus because nature gives evidence to someone bigger than they are.
Wrestling with a Politically Correct Culture
When considering the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts – parents need to be aware about certain compromises being made in order to stay relevant.
- Once traditional organizations begin to waiver under the cultural pressure to become relevant and to abandon their biblical worldview.
- Many of these organizations no longer align itself, as a whole, with the biblical worldview.
- The American Heritage Girls specifically focuses on biblical principles and does not sway to the cultural pressures.
- The American Heritage Girls challenge the girls in their addictions by addressing root issues instead of presenting a false sense of security.
Conversation Starter: Do you know anyone who has been impacted in a positive way from being a part of a scouting organization?