With this year quickly coming to a close, many parents may wonder where the time went. During this year, parents may also regret that they have confused the urgent with the important.
Click to Listen
In today’s interview with Michelle Cox, we discuss how you can be wise with your time and make every moment with your family count.
Today’s guest reminds us that families typically have 18 summers to get it all sorted out with their teens.
Michelle Cox is a speaker and author. She’s written for FoxNews.com, WHOA Magazine for Women, Focus on the Family, and Product Concept. She writes a weekly food column for Fox News Personality Todd Starnes.
More recently, she co-authored the book “Just 18 Summers.”
Time certainly flies. Michelle’s novel “Just 18 Summers” provides practical lessons on how you can be wise with your time.
Make the Most of Your Time with Your Kids
Many parents know they need to spend more time with their kids. Michelle helps us understand the precious time we have with our kids including:
- What prompted Michelle to write this novel
- The mundane plains in life distract us from realizing the time we lose
- Why its OK to schedule time with your family
Creating memories needs to become a creative and intentional effort on your part. Michelle highlights this by:
- Why creative activities present lasting memories
- Spending money will not necessarily create lasting memories
- If you don’t give your time to your teen, he/she will look for it elsewhere
- Be intentional not to create negative memories
What About a Multi-Child Family?
Many families may be blended, or have a wide age range between their kids. How can parents provide time to each kid? Michelle gives us insight in this by:
- Learn to intentionally schedule your time
- Perhaps schedule one day a week to eat lunch with your children at school
Is Vacation Important?
Whether financially or lack of time, many feel they cannot afford a vacation. How to prepare for a vacation:
- Schedule it
- Be intentional about setting a family ritual or something everyone looks forward to
- Take pictures and videos
Is Technology Hindering our Moments Together?
Just look around our society. How many families are on a techno device during dinner without socializing with each other? Michelle helps us:
- Establish techno boundaries
- Learn to identify when it is appropriate to use media
- Don’t allow media to ruin a vacation
Conversation Starter: What are some creative activities you intentionally implement to make the most of your time with your family?